The Right Honourable
The Honourable Senator
Advisors during Phase One:
Scotia Giller Prize
Humber College School for Writers
Harbourfront International Authors Festival
Charles Taylor Prize for Non Fiction
March 15, 2013 for 2014 award presentation
- The Kobzar Literary Award, valued at $25,000, is awarded every second year. The author of the winning submission will be awarded $20,000 and the publisher of the work will be awarded $5,000.
- The Kobzar Literary Award is sponsored by the Ukrainian Canadian Foundation of Taras Shevchenko, a National, chartered philanthropic institution
- Authors must be either Canadian citizens or landed immigrants.
- Eligible genres: literary non-fiction, fiction, young people’s literature, poetry, play/screenplays/musicals
- Ukrainian Canadian theme evident primarily
- Submissions may be tendered in English, French, or Ukrainian. Translated work will be eligible for the next round.
- No self published books shall be eligible.
- Works may be submitted by writers, publishers or literary agents.
- Each nomination must be submitted with the author’s consent.
- All books must have an ISBN, and be distributed in book form in Canada.
- Reprints will not be considered.
- Titles may be submitted only once.
- There is no limit to the number of titles that may be submitted by a nominator, provided that the work entered meets all other eligibility requirements.
- A completed and signed entry form
Download the entry form here (PDF).
- Author’s curriculum vitae
- Note: An author consent letter is not required if it is the publisher who is filling out the entry form.
- Six (6) copies of the publication must be submitted to :
Kobzar Literary Award
Ukrainian Canadian Foundation
of Taras Shevchenko
c/o 96 Yorkleigh Avenue
Toronto, ON M9P 1Y7
- Submissions will be judged by a maximum four person jury in a peer review process.
Conditions of the Prize
- The composition of the jury will be announced four (4) months prior to announcing a winner.
- A shortlist will be published two (2) months prior to announcing a winner.
All inquires should be directed to:
- All entry material, including book copies, will become the property of the Ukrainian Canadian Foundation of Taras Shevchenko
- Nominated and/or winning author(s) to participate in all reasonable publicity associated with The Kobzar Literary Award, including interviews, readings and appearances.
- Publishers to include the Kobzar Award decal on all copies of the shortlisted and/or winning book(s) on all subsequent reprints. These decals or their template will be provided by the Ukrainian Canadian Foundation of Taras Shevchenko.
Dr. Christine Turkewych, Director
Literary Arts – Kobzar Award Program
202 - 952 Main Street
Winnipeg, MB R2W 3P4
Phone: (204) 944-9128
Toll Free: (866) 524-5314
March 15, 2013 for
2014 award presentation
Marsha Skrypuch wins Silver Birch Award
Making Bombs For Hitler, the story of a young Ostarbeiter in WWII, has won the
Silver Birch Award for Fiction in Ontario! The Silver Birch is part of the Ontario Library Association's highly successful Forest of Reading program, which has 250,000 child participants, and it is they who do the actual voting. Books are selected for literary merit and kid appeal, and kids become eligible to vote by reading at least 5 of the 10 nominated titles in their category.
For more information,
Click here to view the
previous winners of
The Kobzar Literary Award.